HOW TO FORM AN ADULT TEAM
1. Decide what kind of team you will form. All men, all women, or co-ed? Mostly under 30, 30-40, 40-50, or over 50? More into recreation or more into competition?
2. Find a league to play in. You can use my list of adult leagues if you are in the Bay Area. Otherwise, you'll have to ask around and use the internet for your area to find a league. Contact that league and find out when they start, how to register your team, and how much it will cost. Ask their advice on how to find a practice space and how much to charge each player including the cost of uniforms and practice space.
3. Round up the players -- your friends and their friends, people you know from pickup games or other teams you've played in, the league might now of some players looking for teams, etc. Be sure to get a small photo, a copy of their birth certificate if the league says you need it, their full name, address, phone numbers, and email addresses.
4. Register the team, following the instructions from your league.
5. Call your first practice. Some other miscellaneous tips:
- With adult teams, it is very hard to get guys to come to practice due to jobs, wives, families, girlfriends, school, injuries, etc. Therefore, if you hook up with two or three other adult teams, and all practice at the same time and place, you save money and have enough players there.
- It is a good idea to have lots of players on the team. For the same reason as above, adults miss more games than kids do.
- You can expect to go to a league meeting each month.
- Don't forget to get practice space and uniforms!
Jim Lindsay's Home Page